How easy it is to focus on what's challenging or what's wrong. Not what's also good. Both make up a life, yes. But what awakens the soul?
I don't believe this counting gifts is playing Pollyanna.
I believe it speaks and gives breath to the places, the holes, that might otherwise too easily dry up. That all these things are gifts, that they come from a God who knows at times it is easy to rejoice and at times it is hard to rejoice but through it all, there can become this pattern for seeing beauty in the world.
And sometimes it's bright and fluffy and smiles, and then it's also not. Thank you, God for the times that it is. Thank you, for the times the counting chisels away at any ungratude in my heart.
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! (Philippians 4:4)
Thank you, God, that we get to rejoice. With an exclamation mark.
I met a neighbor this week and in our ten minute conversation, she told me so many times just how grateful to God she was for His faithfulness, for all He had done for her, for His grace. Thank you thank you thank you.
And it was in the midst of pain I can't fathom. As in, one of the hardest things I would not like to imagine.
Spoken or unspoken, written down or shared, this idea of rejoicing keeps coming up.
I don't know what yours are. I don't know where you have been. But this is what keeps awakening my soul.
chisel, chisel, chisel.
188. my friend and her sweet family
189. sun - sun - sun
190. cold. pool. water. and taking pictures with outstretched arm, holding the camera.
191. neighbors, new and old. community in its own form. the realization that i've lived here a very long time.
192. the 'tree' painting. homey-ness. enjoying time spent inside the four walls
193. a clean storage unit. finding some old writing in some dusty boxes.
194. hummus pitza from Aladdins
195. a 'holiday.'
196. Those who serve our country and who find their home with them - encouragement and a *free* ebook for Military wives.
197. new ideas and dreams
200. a reminder.
you and i are so loved.
linking up for multitudes on mondays